PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Convair 340 (C-131D) ZS-BRV crash Pretoria, South Africa
Old 28th Aug 2019, 14:51
Double Back

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm, reeks like, let's get this crate flying again as soon and as cheap as possible, then send it off to NL, who will (probably) use it only as a non-flying piece of static display. Possibly the price was already hammered, meaning in flying condition. So not much eagerness for extra costs from the side of the vendor.
And who takes a load full of pax with You during a test flight with old stuff, after "maintenance" and a long idle period. And only ONE test flight was planned due to possibly a few time constraints. Like the return flight was already planned, with all that comes with it.
I wonder how much the pilots were pressed to accept the conditions as they were. But OK, finally they made the decision to accept it as presented.

I love to see those old planes fly but long time ago I decided not to fly them myself, however I was and am still active in GA.
There is just too many accidents with those old planes. I flew 18.000plus hours on heavy metal, most of it 3 and 4 holers. NEVER lost ONE engine (mostly GE CF6)