PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester-2
Thread: Manchester-2
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2019, 13:03
pholling

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FFMAN
Thanks for the responses.
So two separate new security areas both at the check in level 2 - that's re-assuring.
IIRC the original T2 security area was on Level 2 before it had its last major make-over and moved upstairs.
Fingers crossed for those 3D scanners. It would barely make sense to install 2D only to have to retrofit 3D soon afterwards. For anyone that's already used them it's like a breath of fresh air and such a far cry (pun intended) from all the shouting and intimidation that goes on at most airports (not just MAN)
Just a quick clarification on my comment. I don't know if they will be physically separated once behind the wall, e.g. Security A & B in T1 today, or if it will just be two entrances to a much larger security area. The nice thing about the new T2 is that it is being designed with the space requirements of the modern security theatre in mind. No more kludging a solution into the existing space. As for the scanners, I agree that ideally you would not want to install new 2D equipment and then quickly replace it. However, it might not be possible to source sufficient 3D capacity in the 2020-2021 timeframe to only have 3D equipment installed. I would imagine that the airport will try and install as much 3D capacity as possible from day-one, but the whole outfit might not be practical. Of course a mix of 3D and 2D equipment poses operational issues. Not that these would be insurmountable.