PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heads Up! Fighter Pilot: The Real Top Gun
Old 28th Aug 2019, 11:57
Bob Viking

Received 553 Likes on 151 Posts
Where do I start?!

I haven’t seen the episode yet so can’t comment on some aspects. I also haven’t engaged in AAR for quite a few years so I’ll leave that to more current individuals.

Dead pan

The Hawk T2 avionics are bloody great. I don’t know which aspects of the programme made you say that they are ****e but from someone with 1000+ T2 hours I can assure you that is not the case.

Davef68

I personally prefer people not to use the bingo warning (hearing is the first thing to go when people are maxed out and if you are waiting to hear an audio warning to remind you to check fuel that is bad practice).

Dominator

The T2 AoA audio is only active with the gear down. I wouldn’t want to have to listen to it during air combat (the Jag had one but then buffet wasn’t such a reliable medium and the effects of over AoA’ing were so dramatic I wouldn’t want to chance it anyway).

As for ‘avionics’ warnings, they are usually generated by the TCAS tripping off as it’s attitude or AoB limits are breached, ie in every dynamic manoeuvre.

‘Traffic’ warnings are from other formation members. Annoying yes, but since the Moray Firth accident it is very hard to convince a duty holder that TCAS should ever be set to standby whilst airborne. Could you imagine if formation members collided and the SI reported that the collision avoidance system had deliberately been turned off?!

I’m not saying I agree with the stance but them’s the rules.

As I said, I haven’t seen the episode in question so I don’t know why you question the RAF bubble.

And yes, fighting sticks are still the best teaching tool for BFM/ACM.

As for editing issues, that is beyond my remit to comment. Annoying, perhaps, but hardly worth getting your panties in a knot over.

BV