PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airport/Airspace changes in SE UK
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2019, 11:31
chevvron

Received 98 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by Lissart
Thanks again.
Chevvron rightly points out some of the problems with ATCO availability. It does not help now only having the one private ATC training college. I still maintain that one of the biggest single risks to the Manston project could well turn out to be a lack of ATCO's,e specially as Greenfield vaildations will be needed, ruling out in the first case, ab-initio's. All that money, all that effort and struggle and they can't operate as envisaged because of a lack of controllers!
Greenfield validations shouldn't be a problem; one of the ex Manston controllers recently circulated his CV so he's 'on the market' and you only need one to start with.
I was tentatively approved for a greenfield validation at Dunsfold back in 2012 based on the fact I used to operate close by at Farnborough and I had held an ADV/ADI validation up to 4 years previously.
The plan was to be I would do ADV/ADI on my own with other controllers 'observing', then after about 4 weeks, with CAA approval I could start training the other controllers; that is probably how it would be done at Manston. I had already held 'greenfield' validations 6 times for 'special events' so the CAA inspectors were aware of my record.