PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester-2
Thread: Manchester-2
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2019, 10:57
pholling

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FFMAN
I have a question for those who have inside knowledge of the T2 rebuild.
I've already used the new Pier 1 and got a sense of the scale of the new construction - the extension itself seems bigger than a good number of entire airport terminals around the UK. Someone told me that the finished T2 will be 150% bigger than it was previously.
What is not obvious to me is how the existing security screening area will accomodate the vastly increased passenger flows. It struggles now at times and the closed in area is seemingly unable to take any further expansion.
The question therefore is: what will the screening capacity be and where will it be located? I honestly can't imagine the current area being able to cope beyond the short-term.
As a supplementary question - will T2 be the first terminal to get the new 3D scanners that will remove the need for the laptops and liquids fiasco?
The new T2X, and the refurbed T2 will have a new security area on Level 2 behind the check-in desks. The plan is for each of these areas to be significantly larger than the current security area which is on level 3. Level 3 will then be given over, in its entirety to shops and restaurants. I cannot speculate on which terminal will get the new 3D scanners first.