PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heads Up! Fighter Pilot: The Real Top Gun
Old 28th Aug 2019, 10:08
Dominator2

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Enjoyed the programme, however;

When was AAR one of the most dangerous aspects of fast jet flying? AAR used to be very much the domain of the Air Defence squadrons until the late 80s when every tactical squadron was expected to be AAR Qualified (if aircraft were AAR capable) I must agree with,
Things have changed a bit re tanking since my day. Into the waiting position, references, bit of power and 'jobs a gudun' It now seem you have a 'mad stab' and if you miss perform DACT with the tanker.
Each attempt shown last night demonstrated poor technique that could lead to a spokes at the worst possible time. I do hope the F35 has a very robust probe tip?

I tried to listen carefully to the ACT action but found the instruction difficult to follow. I loved the fact that aircraft on sticks are still a valid teaching tool. I would have thought that the Educators would have insisted on something more up to date?

There was great emphasis on "flying to the buffet" which is great to gain a feel as to the aircraft's performance. I was, however, surprised that the T2 has no Audio AoA. I assume that F35 has Audio AoA as it is such a benefit when performing the aircraft close to limits.

I thought that some of the Audio Warnings were distracting. What does the "Avionics" warning mean. Also, was the "Traffic" warning for the bandit or was there conflicting traffic in the area? What ever happened to the RAF Bubble which was 1000ft head and beam, 500ft in the stern?

A gripe to the film makers, continuity in places is very poor. Countless times, lining up as a single on the Centre-line and then showing a pairs takeoff. In the text box for R/T showing Maverick 2, 2 instead of Maverick 22. Small details but whey do RAF PR not ensure that it is correct?