PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heads Up! Fighter Pilot: The Real Top Gun
Old 28th Aug 2019, 06:33
PapaDolmio

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I must admit I've enjoyed it up to now, and agree it's for the wider audience rather than us lot.

On the related subjects that have surfaced as a result (from a non aircrew perspective):

Agreed that today's generation are more likely to fly operationally, but remember in Cold War days normal flying was hazardous enough. As a young airman (ATC/Ops) in the 80s/90s it seemed that hardly a week went by without SAROPs On in UK or there was news of RAFG losing a jet.. OK, we were a bigger air force then but cold war flying was not without risk.

I was fortunate during my career to spend the majority of my career on Squadrons operating in a variety of roles, either as a posting or OOA. I never worked with the maritime fleet or AD but did do time with Tornado GR1/4, Jaguar, C130, Chinook, VC10 AAR and SAR Seaking Squadrons. All fleets were different but there was a noticeable difference in the way crews spoke and interacted with one another and non flying types. The way a Tornado GR1 Sqn in 1987 went about its day to day business was markedly different at all levels to a Tornado GR4 Sqn in 2007. I could talk and interact with the guys (and girls) in 2007 in a totally different way to 1987, admittedly partly due to rank but the respect was always there. Times change.