PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easyjet pilot grounded for whatsapp message to friends
Old 27th Aug 2019, 16:02
Denti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FarTooManyUsers
part of the Germanwings case that i found particularly shocking was that Andreas Lubitz's own doctor had declared him "unfit for duties" - but the doctor didn't report this to the airline.

i haven't heard anything from EASA / national governments since then to change the doctor's duty of confidentiality ... to a duty of reporting concerns to the employer.
Unfit for duty is the general term on your sick note in germany. Now, every MD can contact the police or relevant authority if he deems the public or the patient at risk, and especially with doctors dealing with mental issues that is not completely uncommon so they are very much aware of that. The rules in that regard have not changed in Germany, and probably will not do so, even if they do, there is absolutely no need to tell your MD your occupation, so he might be very unaware of the risks any diagnosis could involve. That is why peer to peer programs have been introduced as a requirement by EASA, and the requirement to assess the mental state of any pilot during his medical.

Any mandatory reporting of your health state to your employer will assure that many pilots will refrain from mentioning any problematic issue to their MD and rather deal with it without any help, which would not be ideal at all.