PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AW109 down Poros, Greece
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2019, 14:16
malabo

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Further on the “helicopters=dead rich guys” theme, it does take a certain kind of pilot to stand up to the constant pressure from those accustomed to buying their own way. Flying for some particularly ruthless and overbearing clients I was told by their business managers that I was selected because they had confidence I would say no when the situation demanded it. I did, and despite the protestations at the time became their regular pilot.

On the second video taken by the bystanders at the pad as the helicopter takes off you can hear the man saying “wtf, what’s he doing, doesn’t he see the wires” followed by the woman saying (after impact) “oh no, there’s a family on board”. So they were easily noticed by others without a vested interest that just wanted to watch a helicopter. Perhaps the pilot was all distracted with his PC1 profile numbers and had to stare at the instruments instead of doing the bush PC3 thing and looking out the window. Seems a common problem with EASA pilots that rely on regulations or one more exam to protect them from the real world.