PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heads Up! Fighter Pilot: The Real Top Gun
Old 27th Aug 2019, 14:09
BEagle

Received 270 Likes on 109 Posts
At the risk of starting some 'my war was more serious than yours' drift, in 1990 I was sprung from being a UAS QFI back to captaining the VC10K, as a reinforcement crew for GW1. So I found myself in KKIA as the shooting war started in January-which included a fair number of Scud attacks...

On about Day3, I was getting ready to go in to fly when we had another air raid warning. Then the usual boom-thump as the Patriot battery hoofed off their rockets. But soon after, my room-mate announced that they'd just tannoyed 'NBC Black'...

"It's Black", he yelled.
I was contemplating my knees on the porcelain throne at the time, so replied "I doubt it - but it's certainly Black in here!".

NBC state was soon downgraded - it seems someone had driven a truck too close to a CAM, which after one sniff of the exhaust went nuts. But the alternative NBC detectors were still chirping happily in their cage (yes, really - a pair of LPO'd canaries!), so the excellent Kiwi Ground Defence Cdr realised the 20th century kit wasn't as reliable. Good chap that Kiwi Warrant Officer - he once said to OC KKIA "Sir, perhaps you ought to arrest me now - because if that idiot doesn't shut up, I'm going to deck him!". He was referring to a panicking Sqn Ldr mover who thought he knew more about Ground Defence matters than he did - merely because he was a Sqn Ldr...

And now back to our regular broadcast!

Last edited by BEagle; 27th Aug 2019 at 15:31.