PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heads Up! Fighter Pilot: The Real Top Gun
Old 27th Aug 2019, 13:02
Brian 48nav

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Pr00ne

It is a bit unreasonable for you to have a go at Wyvern, after all you gave the dates 1946-81 as a period when nothing nasty happened in the FJ world and as he pointed out there were plenty of Hunter pilots wondering what would happen to them if they banged-out over Aden. It is probably not well known that some 25-30 RAF pilots flew Sabres with the USAF in Korea. Quite a bit went on in the period you gave.

Timelord

I too 'begat' a FJ pilot son - he was on the Jag' OCU during GW1 but saw plenty of action over Bosnia and N Iraq between then and '97 when he went off to Lossie as an instructor. After he did the TP Course in 2000/01 he went to Boscombe and then talked his boss into letting him get CR ready again over N Iraq. I told him he was off his rocker - he now had a wife and 3 children at home, why put yourself in harm's way? After all he had nothing to prove! But then he never did take any notice of what his dad said! Incidentally we tried steering his younger brother towards a career in the RAF, but one day he announced he could not do what his brother did i.e. fly over hostile territory - 'Neither could I' I replied, so he followed me into civil ATC where he is paid well, has loads of time-off and doesn't have to put up with a lot of the crap associated with service life.

Flugplatz

No offence taken or meant!

Sadly so many people on PPRuNe these days just want to have a falling-out - all so bloody unnecessary!