PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heads Up! Fighter Pilot: The Real Top Gun
Old 27th Aug 2019, 11:45
pr00ne

Received 139 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Wwyvern
In the early time-scale under discussion by pr00ne, the RAF had no Fast Jets that I recall, only fighters, bombers, transports and trainers. Oh, and helicopters. In the early 60s, Hunters were involved on active operations in the Middle East and the Far East.

On 1st March 1961, Air Forces, Middle East was formed as the RAF element in a new unified command, Middle East Command. The resident Hunter squadrons were kept busy flying ground attack operations against insurgents from Yemen.

Later in 1961, Iraq made its first rumblings about taking over Kuwait, which asked for support from UK. The RAF pulled its Middle East Hunter FGA9 Squadrons (8 & 43) from Aden and 208 from Kenya to the Gulf, and eventually Gulf War minus 1 did not become active. But my guess is that the pilots believed that they were about to go active on each sortie they flew during that period. I believe that Lightnings were also involve from Saudi, with some seconded RAF pilots. Even two UK-based Hunter squadrons, 1 and 54, were involved by their pilots flying replacement aircraft to the Gulf-based squadrons.

In the first half of the 60s, RAF Hunters, and I believe Javelins, were flown on operations against Indonesian regular and irregular forces during Confrontation. I guess that there was a tightening of the muscles of the FGA pilots when they set up their live attack runs at targets in the jungle. I know of at least two awards of the DFC for operations under fire, but these were to helicopter pilots.

There is no doubt that the Cold War warriors did their duty. However, the question, "What did you do in the war, daddy", will have the response, "Which war do you mean?" from the survivors of several overseas adventures.
Wwyvern,

1961 was FIFTY EIGHT years ago!

The RAF I joined most certainly had fast jets, Group One it was called I think. We called them Fast Jets. The groundcrew called them Jets. The RAF pulled out of Aden in 1967, confrontation was over in 1967 too. The Cold War era I referred to was in Germany and the UK and it was hard work, challenging and bloody good fun, but nobody was shooting at us or trying to capture and kill us. The RAF FJ world has been on active real world operations constantly since 1991. They fly for real, they do it for real. They join up knowing that. They train knowing that. That is a vastly different world from the era of Tacevals, Minivals, Maxevals , STCAAME and 2 TAF Weapons competitions that was my lot.

I am NOT trying to deride my generation. You play the hand you are dealt. I was just a bit miffed at all the doddery old hands who were derisively having a go at the current generation they see portrayed in this TV series.

I am just mightily impressed by the current RAF FJ aircrew and all those who have served since 1990.