PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easyjet pilot grounded for whatsapp message to friends
Old 27th Aug 2019, 11:24
dnx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We should all take notice. This 'case' is interesting because it shows that social-media is not the proper place to air your troubles and/or grievances.
Peers, colleagues and/or friends who are not qualified to (assess someones mental state or any other 'legal' issue for that matter) make these decisions can cause enormous harm no matter how well intentioned.
This person should have sought counseling if he/she was this desperate. His/her 'peers' in the WhatsApp group could not fathom his/her state of mind and thus decided to alert his/her employer.
If he/she had sought counseling hopefully things would have been handled more discreetly and after a while he/she would have been allowed to resume duty.
Now with all the media attention such becomes very difficult even if there is no actual risk anymore.
I recall a case where someone spend almost 8 years awaiting trial for something his colleagues thought he confessed to.
"I know you believe that you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure if you realize that what you heard is not what I meant". So true!