PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Theory and Speculation On AA A300 Crash In New York
Old 7th Jan 2002, 04:36
747FOCAL

apfds-I have seen them go hard one direction on the rudder while inputing oposite column input and then go the oposite rudder deflection with again oposite column input and back and forth to make the plane fish tail I think the most was about 8-10 times in a row in rapid succesion. Really tosses stuff around. Other than redlining an airframe, I doubt there is any input a pilot could do that should make control surfaces or the tail or engines come off a plane if it satisfies all FAR requirements for structural integrity.

Unless there was a 10 g gust that wasn't registered I just don't believe the pilot did it even on a ScareBus. Look at that Alitalia DC-8 that lost half its wing and one engine going through, and I forget the name of it, that rare wind pattern. Pilot puts in hard rudder one way plane goes the other he pushes harder, then the plane sails through the cross wind and the controls start to respond as they should now the pilot snaps the tail the other way to stop the fast roll and the wing snaped just outboard of the inner engine. He still landed the plane.