PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 27th Aug 2019, 05:54
Tomaski

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by krismiler

Unreliable airspeed has been known about for years, crews are trained in the simulator and there is a procedure to follow in the QRH. The crew of the Malaysia Airlines A330 in Brisbane last year which experienced unreliable airspeed were able to get back on the ground safely.
I can't really speak for other aircraft, but I feel that the Airspeed Unreliable procedure for the 737 has some weaknesses, especially when it comes to applying it to the takeoff phase. I think some guidance should have been included as to when to make the initial power reduction (think terrain avoidance) and when to retract flaps. BTW, even though this procedure has been around for years, I have never seen it demonstrated in the sim as part of a takeoff or landing procedure. It has always been done at altitude and only for as long as it took to executed the initial steps and identify the reliable instruments (I suspect this will change in the wake of the MAX accidents). If you look through the procedure, it can actually get pretty involved. I also take issue with the fact that it does not advise the crew to maintain VMC if possible and land at the nearest suitable airport. Hopefully some of this will be looked at and changed.