PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What was your scariest moment in a helicopter?
Old 6th Nov 2003, 11:39
407 Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ascend, you are very wrong.
We're talking a Jet-Banger, which I assume is a JetRanger or Bell 206. The engine to Transmission driveshaft drives forward to the Transmission, but also links rearward through the engine to the T/R drive. On a 206, there IS NO T/R drive output below the input like on a Bell medium.
I have about 10,000 hrs on 206's and I am a licenced AME M1. believe me, I am correct on this point!

Now if we're talking a 204/205/212, then there is no benifit to leaving the engine running in this situation, as the T/R output drive DOES come directly off of the transmission (lower).

In the case of a 206 practice autorotation, the Transmission (M/R)drives the T/R shaft rearward via the main driveshaft (now disconnected from the engine via the freewheel assy), directly to the T/R driveshaft.
In the case of his failure, the Autoratational energy of the M/R system could not power the T/R, because this fixed link (Txmsn to T/R ) was broken at the Main Driveshaft. The engine powered the T/R via positive power to the freewheel.

I stand by my word, He did the correct procedure, and did it well. Check with your maintenance department tomorrow 'ol boy

Last edited by 407 Driver; 6th Nov 2003 at 12:01.