PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay or SAA?
Thread: Cathay or SAA?
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2019, 02:17
Slasher1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sam Ting Wong
Abezzi,

you have to excuse my colleagues. They lived in a bubble for their entire life and are not really aware of what is going on outside. They think what is happening right now in Hong Kong constitutes as a major crisis. Some are still recovering from a 30 minute delay of public transport because of a demonstration last week. They never experienced real hardship except maybe missing the happy hour at their local. They have no idea about the job market, the wages or flight experience required. Plus they have absolutely no clue whatsoever what it means to have a passport with restrictions. For them it is a mysterious document you strangely have to show some dude in a funny uniform before the door in front of you opens.

If you want genuine information about life in Hong Kong and working for the local airlines you will have to look elsewhere.
This has to be one of the most self-righteous things I’ve ever read on this section.

Especially when some of those colleagues have spent a great deal of time living in tents, getting shot at (and shooting back as well) in sandy hot places where a cooked hot meal was a treat. Sleeping on radio pallets or a track without a heater in the winter — you name it. Away from whatever family they might have wondering if and when they might make it back. So they know good and bad and austerity. Much better than a cynical keyboard warrior.

To the OP the key for me would be to go somewhere where you will be happy and productively spending your time. Contrary to what STW says there ARE plenty of decent pilot jobs out there — and a strong demand for pilots. It’s never been better in the US market, and in any case pay is one aspect of the job only. Don’t sell yourself cheap. And DO realize that raw numbers tell a person very little — the key is the fun you have at work and what it takes to live to a certain standard of living at the place you are going to live (HKG is crazy expensive and there are much cheaper places where a person can make more relative to the cost of living).

I would start by getting a real picture of the culture and work environment at a prospective employer. Are the people happy there ? Do they form a cohesive team ? What has the trend been ? What is the likely future ? Are the people there giving or selfish ? Do they want to be at work ? Do they enjoy showing you around and what they do ? Are they happy or afraid ? Do they stand together or are they divided into factions ?

Your most valuable asset in your life is your time. Don’t waste it in the wrong place. Or doing the wrong thing.