PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wing drop at stall
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2019, 16:05
Fl1ingfrog

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
The robin 2160 gives pretty much the expected 'standard stall recovery' technique within it's POH. An interesting quote directly from it's manual: “Only one action is important – keep the rudder fully in opposite direction!”.

Following an interesting discussion with a number of aerobatic competition pilots I was surprised to hear that recovery from the incipient spin (most common during a short display) was primarily stick forward, I had to try this and found flying the R2160 that indeed by doing this you could recover well onto a very precise and predetermined heading. But what of using such a technique when recovering from a fully developed spin. I also tried this climbing to a safe height. I kept the spin to 6 rotations and then pushed the stick forward: it could have been set in concrete, it was immovable. I then applied maximum opposite rudder and was then, quite quickly, able to recover using the recommended POH spin recovery technique.

The R2160 manual also states that after 3 rotations the engine may stop but, this is not of concern because the engine will recover power quickly following recovery. The CAA did not like this so put in the restriction of a maximum of two turns. The engine stops very rarely but if it It does the POH is proved correct.