PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VH-YTM final report
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2019, 12:36
maxter

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by VHFRT
You’ve really got to laugh at the mentality of people in this country sometimes. The point I’m trying to make is that this operation simply should not exist. We pay massively high income tax rates in this country, so why do these poor people with health issues need to wait for some VFR pilot to come blasting through IMC conditions to take them to medical appointments. This is what we pay our taxes for. Rather than supporting this sort of cowboy operation (missions and heros at the ATSB pointed out) we should be attacking our local members for not providing appropriate services to our sick population.

Yet of course, in true Australian tall poppy syndrome, people attack me and my RN wife who give away huge amounts of money in tax to support the population. Of course, as we work our arses off to pay taxes, we are the problem.
This has zero to do with 'tall poppy' and a lot to do about what it takes for those in the country areas to access what many of us take for granted. To many services such as 'Angel Flight' mean the difference between getting treatment or not. Not everyone can skite about how much tax they pay.
Many of those using AF are more concerned how they will pay the next power bill and groceries. Spent many years in the bush and know what many go through. Suspect you have zero idea of life in the bush if you think regional RPT is easy or affordable. Hint here, AF does not only fly from Mt Gambier. How about Windorah or Winton in Qld. Great RPT there.
I will agree we could be a much more compassionate country and support those who are less well off but that will never happen while we have governments elected by greed and self interest, so AF etc is the result and only silver lining for many.
Can it be better, of course. we cannot have pilots deliberately flying into IFR when VFR rated doing AF. Akin to murder in my mind. What is the vetting system? Who actually knows those who take these stupid risks but say nothing?