PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Theory and Speculation On AA A300 Crash In New York
Old 6th Jan 2002, 15:28
gaunty

Don Quixote Impersonator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys.
Well there you go, but I still feel uncomfortable with being able to "kill" the aircraft in that flight segment.
I'm with BEagle, with the youngsters first 'big one' now being 'fully automatic' and coming in with relatively low hours compared with the past just how well their manual skills can be maintained, particularly long haul.
In our State a unless you have learnt and pass your drivers license test on a manual car your license limits you to automatics. Dodgy parallel perhaps but you know what I mean.

411A mate is dutch roll recovery training currently included in type rating and is it done in the sim, or have they flicked that one over to the Yaw Damper too?
I ask the same question as Fireflybob and raas767.

In a related thread 'Plastic Bug' made a comment that made think
[quote] 587 managed to intersect a number of non related and normally insignifigant events that resulted in the departure of the vertical stabilizer.

The airplane, in my opinion, managed to bullseye the preceding airplanes wake turbulence not once, but twice.

While recovering from wake encounter number one, they hit number two.

With controls set to recover from a diversion in one direction and then encountering a diversion in the OPPOSITE direction, I am believing they found themselves outside of the envelope.

And that is where the tail went.

You may, of course, disagree.

<hr></blockquote>

Whatever, it seems it just wasn't their day and given the evidence and competing politics it would be a pity if they wore it.