PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1948 KLM Constellation crash near Prestwick
Old 26th Aug 2019, 11:28
bobdh478

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been reading through the accident report and it certainly becomes apparent that the organisation at Prestwick, and I suspect further up the chain was a bit of a mess. I think the key question that may well have answered the mystery as to why Parmentier was still even in that area was impossible to answer because of so many errors in the log of R/T messages. These were supposed to be recorded on a minute by minute basis and they were not. There was a separate room in the tower at Prestwick as well as staff who's sole job was to write up the R/T exchanges. The person recording these seems to have been so confused that we are unable to really know if the crew thought the ceiling was 7,000 feet, as recorded.... not the 700 feet it was. At 2308 she recorded the vis at 300 yds instead of 3900 yds that it was. When questioned she said she thought it was 3,000 yds. The point is.... if it could be established that the pilot was informed at 2316 that vis was 2,000 yds (which it was by that time, but no one informed the a/c, despite a message being passed to PH-TEN at that time) that would have been a material fact in determining the cause. That was quite clearly below the KLM minima for runway 26.