PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Russia - Plane crash lands in field after bird strike
Old 25th Aug 2019, 22:04
UltraFan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MemberBerry
I didn't accuse the Russian pilots of anything. They probably had more important stuff to focus on at the time, and based on the outcome they did an excellent job prioritizing what should be done within the short time available.

However I take issue with the claims that a "brace" command is useless. First of all, the command is not just for the passengers, but also for the cabin crew. And the cabin crew will start repeating the command to the passengers, and instructions about how to do it if the passengers were not previously briefed due to lack of time. They will keep repeating that until the plane comes to a stop. Sully gave the command 90 seconds before impact, and the cabin crew kept repeating the command and the instructions until impact, according to USA Today: 'Miracle on the Hudson' reveals passengers' stories - USATODAY.com

Also, nothing stops the airline from personalizing those commands with a version in the local language, like the Scandinavians, that keep alternating between English and their language when the cabin crew repeats the commands.
Just for clarity, I didn't think or imply that you accused the Russian crew of anything. This is more of a theorhetical opinion. I do hope, however, that someone would conduct an empirical study of this phenomenon, just like that did for evacuation panic back in the day... was it after the British Midlands runway fire?

It is an important issue and I for one would like to know how much of what I'm saying passengers actually hear or listen to. I'd also like to know how effective are those fashionable "safety" videos the airline now compete to issue. Personally, I think that instructing passengers on evacuating a sinking plane becomes a lot less effective if done by a generously bosommed and scantily clad Australian lady or a New Zealand dragon or a Man in Black. But that's a very different topic, indeed.