PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The trouble with (most) aircraft museums
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2003, 07:56
Weight and Balance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A very interestng thread. European museums seem a little more uptight than North American ones.

In my experience at the Canadian National Collection in Rockcliffe, the Warplane Museum in Hamilton, the Western Aviation Museum in Winnipeg, and some smaller museums in Alberta, the staff will take the time to answer questions, or find answers, when the crowds permit. Once they know you have some interest and knowledge, they will often let you poke around inside - but they never leave me alone .

About 20 years ago at Rockcliffe, I asked a guide if I could take a good look up the nose well of a recently retired CF-100. At the time, I worked for the manufacturer of the nose wheel steering system, and I wanted to see the mod status and state of wear on what was one of the last flying Clunks. The guide asked me why I was interested, I explained, he let me inside the ropes, and then he went and got a tech from the restoration shop who had worked on the gear in the RCAF. We had a grand discussion!

I think the main point here is that the guides/guards will make an effort, when time permits. What all museums need is more volunteers, preferably with some knowledge of the exhibits. All you Prunners should have the knowledge, and you seem to have time to waste at the computer. Get out there and volunteer! Now, if somebody would just open an aviation museum in near me...