PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Theory and Speculation On AA A300 Crash In New York
Old 6th Jan 2002, 02:04
BEagle

Received 270 Likes on 109 Posts
Quite why anyone should attempt to use rudder as a primary control in a swept wing aircraft in flight, I cannot imagine - other than for spin recovery or to counter the initial effect of loss of engine thrust at high thrust settings. In the type I fly, the aileron and elevator artificial feel system is TAS related whereas the rudder feel is IAS related; as a result the rudder feel increasesfrom min to max much more quickly than the elvator and aileron feel, reducing the chance of inadvertant fin stress from pilot input. In the event of total feel failure, 2 of the 3 rudder PCUs are isolated to reduce rudder power. Rudder is never used to recover from a divergent Dutch roll (although we no longer practice this in the air) - the only time I make a conscious rudder deflection other than during a cross-wind flare is to apply a small rudder doublet to excite the lateral stability mode during air tests to check yaw damper operation.

[ 05 January 2002: Message edited by: BEagle ]</p>