PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Biggest Jet Engines in History Are Finally Ready to Power Boeing's Biggest Plane
Old 23rd Aug 2019, 23:37
etudiant

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SeenItAll
A post above says that their carrier is 14 feet wide and 13 feet tall. While the 14 feet wide can be handled as special wide-load transport, 13 feet tall plus about 2 feet of truck bed height gives you a need for at least 15 feet of clearance. I don't know what interstates they travel on, but the ones that I travel on have a lot of bridges that don't exceed 14-some feet of clearance. It must end up being a pretty convoluted route.

See https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/data/tools/...mainline=false for the final push through Washington State.
You are entirely correct, routing this kind of truly outsized cargo is a major effort and the Interstates are not useful generally, because they were designed with insufficient bridge clearance.
Often the convoy creeps through the countryside at very low speeds in the wee small hours, over some weeks. So leasing an An 124 is massively more efficient.
I think the airship delusion gets reinvigorated every time one of these big lumps must get moved from A to B.