PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2019, 15:56
PeterGee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Asturias56
PG - thank you - I couldn't have put my view better........

"So you really think the RN is better served adding further resilience to capabilities it already has,"

Absolutely - when EVERYONE agrees it is stretched to breaking point to fulfill those tasks more of the same has to be the first priority so it can do the jobs that have been loaded onto the force

you don't add another set of complex and expensive tasks to their burden and stretch the current force even further...........
I have no idea what your background is, but think this may not be subject expertise. This is like saying to a football team, as long as you have a good midfield, we won't bother with goal keepers or strikers. Two of the RN's primary tasks are anti submarine warfare and support of expeditionary activities. Trying to do that successfully without aircover is madness. Please refer to my previous note, imagine trying to fight the falklands without SHAR! That does not mean we expect to fight the Falklands again, it means we do not know what we will need to fight. Carriers provide flexibility to the RN to react what the UK requires. An extra T45 and Astute does no such thing.

Can you please provide evidence that everyone knows the RN is stretched to breaking point? Internet gossip does not count as evidence. The RN is going through transformation to rebuild a capability it should never have lost. There are lots of things going to restructure operations to support the new ask and operating rythm. Alongside significant upgrades to the FF and DD fleets this has taken a fair bit of planning, But right now there are now 7 RN / RFA units in the gulf, with two more heading eastwards. A Westlant deployment is about to start. Further, some research will reveal significant NATO activity with multiple units during 2019. Aside from the USN, which other navies can undertake that level of activitity?

I have no idea what your objective is. The RN is doing just fine. CEPP is a capability that is on track on the UK shoud be proud of. There are no massively cheaper options to provide the needed capability. (CVS sized carries will neither save enough money or meet the ask) Sadly for those that see Fast Air as a land based entity, those days are over. The watchword is flexbility. Typhoons that do AD and Strike, F35s that do land and sea, strike, EW and AD. If you join the RAF, you may find yourself at sea!