PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heads Up! Fighter Pilot: The Real Top Gun
Old 23rd Aug 2019, 15:02
sharpend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by jindabyne
prOOne

What an utterly contemptible view. All generations enlist knowing that they may have to pay the ultimate price. As you did. And I did.
Actually, maybe I am naive (don't answer that), but I joined to fly aeroplanes and never gave war a thought. War was something that happened before my time. It would never happen to me. Years later, after a career practicing for war in FJs, I moved over to VC10s. When I arrived as a bumped up Jag mate, I was told in no uncertain terms by the 'Old Guard' that the VC10 would never go anywhere near a war zone. 13 years later I found myself flying into the FEBA, at night and with no nav aids (apart from a wonky IN) and no lights, wearing AR5, whilst Scuds flew over the top. I actually had a good war, even though I had been shot at by nasty missiles (there and previously in the Balkans). But my point is that I definitely did NOT enlist knowing I might have to pay the ultimate price. Like many of my young generation, I knew nothing, I thought nothing and peace time flying was the only thing on the menu. Maybe I had Baldrick's bullet