PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Corsair wreck in Lough Foyle
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2019, 10:49
Haraka

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Fareastdriver,
1975. That was the Wildcat in Portmore Lough . I took a look at it as there were concerns that it might still have the guns in it. Following that we ran off a load of Hand Held imagery from very low level level in a Scout which I duly forwarded to the Fleet Air Arm Museum at Yeovilton. I believe it was subsequently recovered by a local group for display. Then there was the probable Beaufort just off the Eastern shore of Lough Neagh......... Sunken flying boats In Lough Erne.....,...., and five wrecks scattered up Lough Foyle. Allegedly .
I did follow up other apparent cases , including the Halifax that came down in Lough Neagh and was the subject of a story in Air Clues. This I discovered was subsequently dragged ashore and broken up in McGarry's yard,near Aldergrove and who had a contract for this work. The only aircraft he knew of that had disappeared was a Beaufort in ,IIRC 1943. Then I had reports from military divers, with sketches , of a twin engined wreck that had the "step" in the upper fuselage by the turret. Unfortunately this was destroyed by explosives ( I was told) as part of another operation.

Last edited by Haraka; 23rd Aug 2019 at 17:51.