PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southend-2
Thread: Southend-2
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 22:13
EI-BUD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree completely, Wizz does have an edge.

Wizz is an ultra low cost carrier and a giant in Eastern Europe. I'd like to be persuaded that Ryanair is ULCC too, but I'm not. Ryanair have scale and resources to wage a long war against Wizz as they've done in Cork and Belfast. But London is completely different to those destinations, there is serious volume in the London market.

Besides, Wizz have shown their intent on entering Edinburgh. Let's look around; Lufthansa have publically said that they are not allowing Ryanair to squeeze them off any route in a predatory style attack, and airlines will increasingly recognise that if they can, they should hold tight, Ryanair back off when losses are significant enough.

The new leader at easyJet recognises this and they've held firm in the face of Ryanair at Belfast and in many UK airports are larger than Ryanair.

Ryanair now have a very new outlook, much reduced growth on the back of the Max issue, disasterous dip in relations with unions and the usual need to deliver shareholder value. I sense that the European industry will stand firm against Ryanair threat especially in light of their current challenges. Germany is a great example...

Good luck Wizz and great news for SEN, such a great little airport to use!