PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heads Up! Fighter Pilot: The Real Top Gun
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 20:01
NutLoose

Received 2,937 Likes on 1,252 Posts
Originally Posted by hoodie
Pretty sure I've seen ships mentioned in the limited amount of media coverage there's been on the UK F-35B purchase. Might be wrong, of course.

Yes, but then the carriers were big enough to actually have supported a conventional through deck facility, so what exactly does this vertical capability bring to the table as all the lift engine is doing is taking up valuable fuel and munitions capability, remember this is / was slated at being the Harrier for the 21st century, if it has lost the ability to operate ashore dispersed in a war time situation from unprepared sites, then surely the logic behind giving it the ability to hover in the first place is flawed.

As for all the chat about the training regimes and cockpit banter etc and not in my time and a lot of yours too, all I can say it may have changed, yes, and the time before getting to the front line is ridiculous,
BUT they must be doing something right, because the Gulf Wars, Libya, Syria and Afghanistan are testaments to the professionalism, dedication and skills of those currently serving in harms way and is there for all to see,
so to all those detractors, the proof of the training establishments achievements is written in their ability to provide combat proven pilots.

Last edited by NutLoose; 22nd Aug 2019 at 20:11.