PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QR920 11th August Doha-Auckland turns back shortly after takeoff
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 18:14
Jack D

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Landflap
JackD; your assertion that "nearest" equates to time (Boeing), really ? Where does Boeing go in direct conflict with even the most basic language dictionary. Look up "near". It is a distance factor, not time. I have no wish to thread creep or open up the tired old discussion but "nearest" and "suitable" are well defined and enforced in most training discussions. Losing a donk out of two means you have lost 50% of your power and by regulatory definition, that is a "Mayday". In terms of pure airmanship, you really do want to get down in case the remaining donk blows too. Now you are poling a big fat glider ! Departure airfield may be nearest but may not be suitable . I certainly would not have circled about dumping fuel. I too, was not there but at least, a safe outcome was achieved. One for the "What would you have done" discussion groups eh ?
But you are saying exactly the same as me .. nearest suitable airport means closest suitable in terms of time
nothing else’. Suitable in this case was the departure airfield .. you agree ? The definition of suitable is open to discussion of course but as DOH is the closest and presumably the Wx was not limiting then where could be more suitable ?