PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 11:17
PeterGee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pr00ne
PeterGee,

Ignoring your condescending and patronizing “now get a life” closing remark...

Sure the carriers are all about projecting power, and that is principally fixed wing airpower, but the point that myself and others here are making is that hardly any of this fixed wing airpower exists.
617 Sqn has 9 Lightning’s, and until 809 Sqn forms in 2023 that’s it! And even then 617 are not a full time embarked squadron, they are our entire non Typhoon strike force.
Those 9 Lightnings are carrying out the roles previously performed by the entire Tornado GR4, Sea Harrier and Harrier fleets.

So this is why I think they are extremely vulnerable to a Dominic Cummings attack of logic. That being they are incapable of carrying out their prime function.
I find many topics on this forum interesting and informative. However, this thread seems to be a honey pot for ill informed unsubstantiated clap trap. I *assume* that is driven by a desire to retain control of a limited number of fast jet cabs, regardless of the requirements.

I agree all programs are subject to cancellation, particularly in these unusual times, but it would be odd to finish paying for.successful project and then pull the plug. of course you never know!

The programme plan of record calls for us to be where we are are, with 617 having 9 cabs gradually increasing. I know you know though we have more then 9 cabs though! The buy is ramped around F35 development. How many block 3 cabs do you want to upgrade? Of course CEPP is not build around one incomplete frontline squadron!

It is way too simplistic to say F35 replaces those fleets. Typhoon is also replacing tormado and harrier capability. What is required is far more flexibility from a more limited number of squadrons, based around Typhoon and F35.