PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heads Up! Fighter Pilot: The Real Top Gun
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 06:26
Bob Viking

Received 553 Likes on 151 Posts
Alright, I’ve seen it now. And...

What the hell is all the whining about?!

Viewing it through neutral eyes I thought it was bloody good. If it’s intention is to aid recruitment then I think it’s bang on the money.

If it doesn’t appeal to people of previous generations then I don’t think that’s a problem.

I could go on all day about previous replies but I’ll try to minimise my inputs.

Regarding the question of whether the pilots of today could cope without computers I say of course they could. I started my instructional career on 19 Sqn on the Hawk T1 (pre GPS). Students coped then. Students cope with the Hawk T2 as well. Either group of students could cope with either aircraft if they were taught to.

Would it be appropriate if I said that pilots of yesteryear could never fly modern fighters because they couldn’t cope with the computers? Personally I think that statement would be just as ridiculous as saying modern students couldn’t cope without them.

As for those that think I’m on a crusade to disrespect my forebears I say please stop and think.

On this site it seems that some people believe it is perfectly acceptable to criticise the current generation with impunity. However, for the reverse to happen is apparently disrespectful. Why must these things be a one way street?

I am more than happy to admit when I’m wrong. I can take criticism on the chin. Is that true of everyone on here?

As to the guys and gal on the programme I say bloody well done.

Personally I avoid TV cameras like the plague.

I have flown with many of the staff and students on both fleets (not in an F35 obviously) and I thought they all came across well. Clearly whatever they do they will attract criticism from some people so more kudos to them for being brave enough to talk to the cameras in the first place.

Whether you agree with the instructional methods on show is largely immaterial. In 2019 the methods work very well. There is more effort to accommodate learning styles and more understanding of actual teaching methods than was true many years ago.

Before you get all huffy just consider that I have been a QFI for 12 years on the Hawk (A2 on several variants) and spent four years qualifying as a teacher before I joined the RAF. I do know a thing or two about the intricacies of imparting knowledge.

Standards of instruction now are as high as they have ever been. The methods are just different to days gone by.

So, one episode in and it gets a thumbs up from me. Let’s see what next week brings.

BV

Last edited by Bob Viking; 22nd Aug 2019 at 08:34.