PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAS Chart simplification! why, why, WHY?
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2003, 04:10
brianh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'M HAPPY WITH THE NEW CHARTS

I have no complaint with the new charts.

The ERC has the detail I need for monitoring any area frequencies.

AirServices intends to add useful tips like the Kilmore AWIS on the next chart VTC release so you know there is an AWIS at the critical location and can use it to ensure you can get thru.

They are also considering putting a biscuit box with the correct freq near Wilsons Prom and Cape Otway for those over water crossing sked arrangements noted in the ERSA.

They will also be cross referencing the AERIS and AWIS sections of the ERSA to assist VFR pilots to get their enroute met themselves.

Sorry to non-Victorians who don't know the area but the above message is that the charts may actually be more helpful downstream.

We spent the weekend in N/E Victoria - lovely wine - and never called on the area freq coming or going. No reason to. Had a listen on the area freq but otherwise checked Benalla to make sure the gliders and us were separated, Yarrawonga CTAF as we had 7 aircraft over the Lake and wanted to keep clear of the 2 operating at Yarrawonga, and also Yarra Valley CTAF that was quite active before I dropped in to Lilydale. Same messag as NASIG - the activity was concentrated around the CTAFs. Then the CTAF again at my home base so I didn't have one of the parachutists use the Airvan as a set of airbrakes.

As far as remote areas is concerned, I am happy to take personal responsibility for what survival gear I carry on ANY flight. I don't need some bureaucrat to tell me that a line on the map takes me from safe to unsafe or vice versa. Much of Victoria is more dangerous for a forced landing than much of the Outback and i treat it accordingly with or without a DRA listing.

I have put a number of suggestions to NASIG and AirServices and had excellent feedback and results. Hopefully they are monitoring these forums but if anyone has a constructive suggestion I suggest they email them - not just the problem but the suggested fix!

Roll on the NAS - it is another step to AOPA's "Freedom to Fly - Responsibly".
Cheers
Brian H