PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Biggest Jet Engines in History Are Finally Ready to Power Boeing's Biggest Plane
Old 21st Aug 2019, 13:23
Turbine D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Original post by RTM Boy:
I fully appreciate the complexities of modern aviation manufacturing and production, but phrases like 'more haste, less speed' and 'it looks like carelessness' keep popping into my head. GE has already told investors that having already faced a US$600 million cashflow hit so far, it could face a further US$800 million hit if the MAX remains grounded and faces further exposure through its aircraft leasing unit.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/31/ge-w...g-737-max.html

The GE9X problems pushing the first 777X flight into 2020 and deliveries perhaps into 2021 is not helpful to Boeing or GE cashflow, given the other problems. With 150 777Xs on order Emirates won't be pleased either.
The testing of engines on a test stand doesn't necessarily find all the problems that might exist in engines in the air. So GE identified a durability problem with a compressor stator vane that could have been a problem in certification testing or airline service during flight testing on GE's 747 test aircraft prior to the start Boeing's aircraft certification process. I don't consider that "carelessness" at all. I am sure Emirates is disappointed with the introduction delay, but pleased the problem was found before receiving and flying engines with this defective compressor vane.

I bet you Rolls Royce wishes they would discovered the sulfidation/corrosion problem on the Trent 1000 engine in the early stages of certification before having so many engines in revenue service with various airlines.