PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Delta 757 hard landing this morning at Azores PDL
Old 21st Aug 2019, 10:34
Lord Farringdon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input cactusbusdrvr. The B757 seems to feature in a few of these events...although I'm only thinking of this one and UA627 at Newark. Not being a PP, is it a design issue or something specific about the B757 that gives it a propensity to do this if not 'flown on' correctly? I mean this applies to all aircraft but I just seem to be aware of more B757's suffering this kind of hard landing damage, and your post seems to suggest a need to be wary with this bird. It's not as though you would be able to avoid some deliberately tough encounters with the runaway at times like in this example.

Those guys had their work cut out for them and the nose seemed to have been derotated fairly quickly, even before the reversers had any effect, no doubt to get some much needed nosewheel steering. But it wouldn't take much for that to have been a lot harder given some unfavorable shear. I guess I'm asking, is it something you worry about in the B757 that you might not worry so much about in say a B777? Or is this just pilot technique/bad day at the office/weather related issue for which the B757 is no more likely to suffer this damage than any other similar type? Apologies in advance for the clumsy question.

Last edited by Pilot DAR; 21st Aug 2019 at 22:50. Reason: typo