PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heads Up! Fighter Pilot: The Real Top Gun
Old 21st Aug 2019, 09:34
Toadstool

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by sharpend
Lima Juliet, Well maybe we are a bunch of old fogies, but personally I have found a sea-change in attitudes over the years caused by lack of discipline & respect for authority/elders, all across the whole spectrum of society. . The whole point of the armed forces is to fight and that means sometimes telling soldiers to do unpleasant things. Without discipline and respect for authority (one of these students said he had a problem with authority; FFS), soldiers will do as they please. Sadly, we are in a touchy-feely society today; drill Sgts cannot shout as students etc etc. I could go on mentioning the softening of rules etc... but ultimately the RAF is a fighting force; disciple, respect and standards are vital. But what do I know, I'm just an old fogie.
The whole point of the armed forces is to fight and that means sometimes telling soldiers to do unpleasant things - Still happens

Without discipline and respect for authority (one of these students said he had a problem with authority; FFS), soldiers will do as they please - Soldiers and Airmen will still do as they please when they please, should they be so inclined, as they used to do when I first joined up in the 80s. Soldiers and Airmen still have respect and discipline now, as I can attest to on a daily basis.

Sadly, we are in a touchy-feely society today; drill Sgts cannot shout as students etc etc - Yes they can and yes they do. Perhaps things are slightly different, but its called Emotional Intelligence. Times change.

ultimately the RAF is a fighting force; disciple, respect and standards are vital. - Op TELIC, Op Herrick, Op Ellamy and Op SHADER proved the RAF was a fighting force and still is. If you remember AP 1, Respect, Integrity, Service and Excellence is still extant.

Happy to discuss via PM.

Regards