PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 21st Aug 2019, 05:13
kiwi grey

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
USA-only certification

Originally Posted by Speed of Sound
Has anyone considered an outcome where the MAX returns to service in the US only so that existing stocks can be sold to offset some of the losses, leaving Boeing to concentrate on a new model?

Or is that just too crazy to contemplate?
Waaaaay too crazy.
The absolute minimum would have to be USA, Canada and Mexico, otherwise US airlines for example would have a subfleet they couldn't fly to Mexico or to Canada, and if they wanted to fly to or from Alaska, would have to be routed outside Canadian airspace.

And even then, if I was a pilot, would I be happy to fly an aircraft that EASA and CAAC say is unsafe to fly? Ah, no thanks.
Or as SLF, would I fly in an aircraft that the FAA says is "Yeah, sure, safe as can be. No, really, you can trust us" but other major world players say "No. Just NO. No certification"
And probably most important of all, would any insurance company be prepared to cover an aircraft type that other non-USA safety agencies say is uncertifiable? Not a chance, I'd say

"Mr Boeing, I know you've already met Rock, may I introduce you to Hard Place?"