PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Victor/Canberra collision near Marham, 1968.
Old 20th Aug 2019, 16:18
bloodaxe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was recently married and we lived in one of the Secos kept for under 25 married types. The mid-air was a very tragic event which was made worse for my young wife when the wreckage was brought back on a low-loader in full view of the married quarters! Somewhat insensitive and very disturbing for all who saw it. I think it was about the same time that an F-100 Super Sabre crashed on the airfield after the pilot ejected on an overshoot when the engine failed. The aircraft bounced through the 55 and 57 Sqn dispersals and ended up just behind the quarters missing several Victors in the dispersal loops! It burnt well and sent ammunition shooting off in all directions when the guns and ammo trays cooked! The fire crews beat a hasty retreat and the story went around that the Station Commander drove out to the pilot through the long grass we were trying to control the birds with at the time and when he found him he was flat on his back with an ejection injury. Getting out of his car he said ‘Hello and welcome to RAF Marham’. To which the reply was ‘Gee thanks but you should know that I have just come off the range and have a full load of ammo on board.’ The Staish dashed off to warn the fire crews but they had already found out. Sick quarters sent the ambulance to the burning wreckage and were told to follow the wheel tracks in the grass to find the pilot. They rushed off and unfortunately were too enthusiastic and managed to run over his foot as they skidded to a stop causing him another injury! We were evacuated from our quarter due to the ammo cooking and didn’t get back for some time. Never a dull moment for tanker trash.