PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - easyJet Callouts
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2019, 15:38
deja vu

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by sheppey
The V1 call-out is a serious decision speed call. So why doesn't the captain say "Speed checked" to indicate he agrees with the call? Same with VR. You could apply that "speed checked" nonsense to any number of selections where airspeed is concerned. Where does this all stop? Silent monitoring of various flight instruments is part of normal airmanship. But the unnecessary articulation of what you are monitoring is a bit over the top.
Well it has been working fine for at least 27 years since I first flew an Airbus, not sure how many years before that though. Where does it all stop you ask, stops with flap and gear, these are the only things that you hang out or retract where airspeed is critical ( hardly "any number of selections"). With flap when PF asks for a new setting the PNF actually checks the speed, calls "speed checks" and makes the selection if the speed is within limits. This is equally important with flap retraction or extension. Its a little like PF calling "gear up" and PNF respond with "positive rate" and selects gear up, is this positive rate call also nonsense?

On the V1/Vr calls, serious as you say, it was considered that the 100 knots call and the response of "checked" was sufficient to ensure that both pilots were awake and that both ASI were accurate as the aircraft hurtled toward V1, as you say a time for silent monitoring.

This stuff wasn't just made up by a couple of Airbus guys in the bar, an enormous amount of research went into it by all sorts of professionals.

I don't care how good you are or how many hours you've flown we all stuff up occasionally and this might just save busting a speed, I've seen it work.