PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA to EASA. Are there any jobs in the EU?
Old 19th Aug 2019, 12:20
ilrata

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FAA to EASA. Are there any jobs in the EU?

Hey all,

First I'd like to apologize if this is a repetitive topic, I've read through many other threads that mention lots of different things but sometimes very vague on what I'm looking to get help with.

Hopefully some fellow pilots in the EU will be able to shine some light...

I am currently a 737 captain for a US carrier. I'm 32 years old, and my personal life is taking me to Europe. I'm applying for a Spanish passport through my parents so the legal right to work in EU is being taken care of...

I'm just starting to learn of the whole process for converting my license and type ratings, but some things are still not clear... for ex:

As an FAA ATPL holder, do I need any sort of endorsement/approval from a flight school in the EU to take my 14 exams? Is there any way to completely study on my own, then register and take the tests without having to go through a school?

Why is it 'better' or 'worse' to take these exams in certain countries and not in others? If so, what are the best countries to take it in? Are there any benefits to having it in one or the other? Would I possibly later need to have it issued from a country different than the one I originally got it from? Is getting it issued again in a different country involve taking more tests/exams?

What happens to the type ratings I have on my FAA license? Do they get transferred over? Do I have to buy my own type ratings if I want them included in my license?

And, last but not least... what is the current job outlook in the EU? What airlines/jobs would be the easiest to look for and apply to? What are the best? Are there direct entry captain positions? Is anybody hiring? Would it be easier to get hired already being a 737 CA? What is a normal salary for a 737 CA in the EU?

Hopefully this can also turn into a discussion and we can all kind go back and forth with ideas and different point of views regarding the process.

I appreciate any help, thank you all