PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LHR Delivery
Thread: LHR Delivery
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2019, 02:15
Alaskaman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UMLAT 1 departure

Ok, since you did so well with that last one, how about one more

I tried to post this earlier and it never made it on. I fear i've broken some unknown rule so I'll try to word it as generic as possible.

Flying the UMLAT 1 sid, we made the D10 LON restriction above 4000. Shortly after, around 4300' (and prior to UMLAT) were cleared to "climb to FL100". The UMLAT restriction is mandatory 6000. I believe the clearance should have been "climb unrestricted to FL100" and barring that we should level at 6000 until UMLAT and then continue climb to FL100. As we approached 6000 the controller stated "turn right heading xxx" which then made the UMLAT restriction a moot point, but am I correct that this was an incomplete clearance? We discussed and the consensus was that the controller must have known he was going to take us off the SID and therefore did not state 'climb via' or 'climb unrestricted'. Thoughts?

Also, if he had left us on the SID, my contention is that we should have leveled at 6000 until UMLAT given the clearance we received ("climb to FL100"). Does anyone concur or is this a common procedure at LHR and I'm wrong?