PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VH-YTM final report
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2019, 00:34
machtuk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Slippery_Pete

I hate CASA as much as the next gender neutral pilot. But if you can’t read your own rant above and understand your view is greatly warped because you have an axe to grind with aviation oversight, then no amount of me or others pointing it out will make one iota of difference. I can’t imagine any ATSB report being produced at the moment where you don’t throw your hands up in the air dramatically and wander off muttering CASA this and CASA that.

As for commercial pressures, I think you’re struggling to grasp the concept. A 200 hour pilot with a CPL and a pushy boss - they have 3x the experience under their belt, they have currency, they have more IF training, they have better theory and human factors awareness. Does that mean they won’t make a mistake? No. But they are better equipped to resist pressures of people and schedules - absolutely.

In my mind, AngelFlight involves private operations where the the possibility of get-there-itis is placed into the shoulders of pilots who don’t normally and who haven’t been trained to recognise and resist those forces. AngelFlight can throw their hands up in the air Helen Lovejoy style about statistics and ATSB has gone to the dogs blah blah blah... or they can suck it up, and invest that energy in training and awareness for their pilots about how to recognise and avoid these things in the future.
Well said:-)

Flying is fun, it can also be incredibly dangerous! The rules are there for YOUR protection, go outside of them then you are in personal test pilot territory!
That saying "a little bit of knowledge can be dangerous" is very real in this tragic event as well as many other "phew that was close" stories that we never hear about!
When we fly whether it be for pleasure or reward we do so full knowing that there is a line in the sand for all of us, cross it at your own peril!