PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff City Footballer Feared Missing after aircraft disappeared near Channel Island
Old 18th Aug 2019, 19:37
EXDAC

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Chronus
What does very favourable, supportive and understanding mean. With the B737 MAX fiasco still unresolved, and today another big article about it in the Sunday Times, does it not perhaps cast more dark shadows over the FAA and our regulators in their role of guardians of public safety.
An FAA registered aircraft with a standard type certificate requires periodic inspection by an airframe and power plant mechanic with Inspection Authorization. That inspection is required at least once every 12 calendar months but may also be needed after 100 hours if that occurs first. What does, or does not, pass inspection is completely up to the IA performing the inspection. There is a huge range of "tolerance" for minor imperfections. I doubt any aircraft would ever pass inspection if every tiny discrepancy was grounds for failure.

My IA has also given my recent flight reviews. He signs off my airplane and he is prepared to fly in it. That's good enough for me.

The condition of a privately owned aircraft has little to do with FAA oversight or their concern with public safety.

Last edited by EXDAC; 19th Aug 2019 at 02:38. Reason: Correct AI to IA