PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Defence: Public ignorance, the media, and cutbacks
Old 18th Aug 2019, 18:06
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I have to say Cummings worries me. Just as I get a sense that McDonnell is the puppet master in Labour, I’m starting to wonder who is pulling the strings in Government. He would do well to remember he is an appointed functionary not the anointed Messiah.

But frankly I too am at a loss as to what might be cut, if nothing else given Boris’ apparent statements about ensuring the Forces are appropriately resourced and funded. All the major projects are well into their gestation with contracts signed and billions spent; like it or not they can’t simply be cancelled without cost. And if we really are going global, then we will need all those capabilities.

Not that facts or the reality of the situation seem to matter for much these days. An encouraging turn of phrase and invoking some Churchillian spirit seems to be all that’s required of our political leadership, the rest just have to repeat the approved lines. I’m not getting a good feeling about the next few years for Defence.