PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wing drop at stall
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2019, 17:00
Big Pistons Forever

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Genghis the Engineer
I've spun a Hunter inverted. Enter at 30,000ft, 4 turns, recover, pull out from the dive - bottoms at about 15,000ft. Concentrated the mind on height loss - but as it's a swept wing jet massing around 10 tonnes, not all that representative of light GA typically massing about a tonne, with a propeller and a straight wing.

G
As a general observation an inverted spin will not happen in your typical GA trainer. The closest I have come was a botched immelman entry in a C 150 Aerobat. It ran out of steam near the top of the half loop and the student had let quite a bit of yaw develop. I did not say anything because I wanted to see what the student would do when we departed controlled flight. When the airplane stalled it initially flipped over in the start of an inverted spin but then flipped back over to an erect spin which almost immediately developed into a spiral dive. The student sat frozen at the controls doing nothing with a rather humorous gobsmacked expression while all this was happening until I yelled at him," Analyse and Recover !" at which point he did an acceptable spiral dive recovery

The bottom line from my POV. Any discussion of inverted spins have no relevance to the topic of stall/spin in ab initio training

As a general observation I would suggest failing to teach control of yaw and then failing to demand students control yaw in all phases of flight is a weakness in flight training. Unfortunately modern trainers, especially the C 172 will let students get away with feet on the floor flying. One result of this is effective control of yaw when the aircraft stalls and during the subsequent recovery. If yaw is controlled it is impossible for the aircraft to spin so failure to control yaw is not good.......