PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Russia - Plane crash lands in field after bird strike
Old 17th Aug 2019, 19:33
apatity2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Birds on runway procedure

After listening to the radio, it appears that ATC warned the pilots twice about the birds on runway.
1.I did a lot take offs and landings at various airports with the birds "vacating" runway right in front of the airplane. Scary... But never I heard ATC warning me about the birds. Not to mention warned twice. I do not remember if it exists in UK CAP413. I do not remember reading any manuals or local procedures about any actions required by the pilot if he observes birds all round the place. May be, in the worst case, one would report birds to ATC and request for assistance. However, I would not know what to do if ATC themselves warns me about the birds activity right before the take off, twice. I guess it sounds similar to ATC warning about wake turbulence and take off at my discretion, after which I would give it enough time to get around. What do I do when ATC warns me about the birds twice? Open the window and shout at birds? Or steer carefully around the birds on take off? Sound stupid. Any one ever heard this ATC warning and what is the procedure?

2. These Pilots did good, given the pressure and realities.