PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Medevac pilot falls asleep while flying???
Old 17th Aug 2019, 14:13
SASless

Received 525 Likes on 220 Posts
The key is for the Pilot to show up rested.

Studies have shown even modest amounts of sleep can prevent a "Sleep Deficit" situation from being present at the start of work.

When family matters, side jobs, or hobbies prevent you from getting even just a good nap before showing up for work occur....it makes for a long night.

I am one of those that loved really ugly weather nights where there was no chance of a call out.

I would brief the Dispatcher that unless there was a significant improvement to a specified minimum....there was no need to consider our departing but should there be a change in the weather to notify me immediately.

In the linked article there is a discussion about how the human brain reacts upon awakening from sleep....and suggests there is a 5-20 minute lag until being fully awake with "brain in gear".

I used to grab a half cup of coffee upon being awakened for a flight....sipped while checking the weather and planning the flight. The Heroes amongst the Med Crew thought that an unnecessary delay in getting airborne.

They did not grasp the coffee sipping ended upon completion of the weather check and flight planning....and not the other way around.

Having worked rotating shifts for years....I much preferred being on a permanent night shift over having frequent changes in my routine.

By working nights....usually the pace slowed down....I got my errands done on the way home....and I went to bed early in order to have a good sleep period immediately before going back to work.

An old Army Blanket over the bedroom window to block out the sunlight....AirCon on frosty....and life was good.

Being a single guy that worked fine....and on my off days....I was primed for the partying that went on until the wee hours of the morning.

The hard part was the two days off....and the first night back as my routine usually got messed up but was over quickly for the rest of the week.

https://hbr.org/2006/10/sleep-defici...ormance-killer

Last edited by SASless; 17th Aug 2019 at 14:57.