PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA Flight Instructor’s Exam
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2019, 10:30
das Uber Soldat

Received 127 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by The name is Porter
Now for a more articulate response. The average Grade 3 being as useful as tits on a bull is more a reflection of the (Part 61) watered down Instructor Rating. No fault of the candidate in this regard. The exam is as per usual, ad-hoc, given little thought in it's implementation and is generic and in no way specific to the CASA Part 61 Instructor Rating. If you can't do something properly, don't do it, stop adding unnecessary cost and yet another rote learn exam to syllabus.
Originally Posted by The name is Porter
What part of this exam has been around for 25 years do you not understand? Its the PMI exam, with the same reference material. This is not new. The only change is the timing of the exam. You do it at G3 level now, instead of G1. And as I explained, that's not a bad thing.

Generational thing? I'm older than you, have been instructing longer than you and have done more than enough courses in TEM, PMI & HF.
Given that you have no idea how old I am, and how long I instructed, that's an interesting comment.

I've been around the industry long enough to know there are some Grade 3's that run rings around some Grade 2's and even the odd Grade 1. The relative worth or usefulness of any instructor, regardless of the grade, in my opinion is more a function of their attitude. You will never learn everything you need to know in a CAR 5 Instructor Rating, let alone a Part 61.
If you're been around this long, you should know that a Junior G3 is a licence to learn. You are developing skills and operate directly under strict supervision from a Grade 1 instructor. That there exists some woeful G2/1 instructors is irrelevant to my comment.

Semantics. If you want a more accurate description, too lazy or under resourced to develop an exam that actually tests knowledge content. Instead of, 'that book looks ok, lets grab it, knock up a multi guess exam, Bob's your mother's brother' There is no way that exam can be multi guess, ridiculous.
Or maybe they felt they didn't need to reinvent the wheel. As to multiple choice, it has been the method of examination of Australian pilots since 2003, so a rather pointless complaint.
Further, you've cherry picked around a few points.
  • You claimed the exam has been 'plucked out of the ass'. Its been around for decades. What is your response to this?
  • You claimed there is no guidance material. The CASA website provides a metric tone of it. What is your response to this?
  • You claimed an instructor rating candidate is being taught the course by someone who hasn't passed the exam. Given that it'll be a Grade 1 instructor doing the teaching, and to hold that rating he/she would have passed the PMI exam, which is literally the exact same thing, this statement is patently false. What is your response to this?
If you're desperate to moan about CASA, you're not wanting for avenues of complaint. The PIRC exam however, is not one of them.

The hit and miss part wasn't knowledge of PMI, very much attitude, being able to work with people and students mainly.
Brilliant. It wasn't knowledge of the Principles and Methods of Instruction that got a job with you, but an instructors ability to work with students....

I wonder how an instructor could improve their ability to work with students...

Last edited by das Uber Soldat; 17th Aug 2019 at 12:51.