PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Russia - Plane crash lands in field after bird strike
Old 17th Aug 2019, 06:05
Mariner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Birds do fly at night and in IMC

Originally Posted by littco
I take this on board, but my point was the chances of hitting a flock of birds at night in IMC, large enough to take out both engines is next to 0.

Seeing and hitting a flock of geese in day time is at least slightly better as you know what's happened, assuming you've seen them. As opposed to night IMC and hitting a flock of geese and not having a clue what the hells going on because there was no visual.
I guess it's a small saviour birds dont seem to like to fly at night and in clouds!
You're ill informed littco, birds fly at night too, just like us. Alone or in flocks.

I've hit a flock of geese in between cloud layers at night while on approach. Made a nice mess of our rh flaps. Had they flown in a different direction they could have ended up into all our engines. Just luck.

And birds like seagulls tend to sit on the runway at night too. Makes you wonder if they were the first flight out that morning and if a bird check had been done.